- Studied law at Leiden University and political science at the London School of Economics, London, UK.
- Admitted to the bar in Amsterdam in 1994.
- Partner at Böhler since 2002.
- Member of the following expert associations: the Dutch Association of Defence Counsel and the European Criminal Bar Association.
- Member of the criminal law and international law & human rights departments.
- Speaks Italian.
Michiel Pestman is particularly active in the field of international criminal law. International Criminal CourtHe frequently gives lectures in his specialist field to students and fellow lawyers.
Press and publications
- Uit het Oosten Geen Nieuws [All quiet on the eastern front], StrafBlad, 17 September 2009
- All quiet on the eastern front, 11 August 2009
- Begin eerste proces Cambodja-Tribunaal [The first trial in the Cambodia Tribunal begins], Trouw, 17 February 2009
- KRT staff targeted by lawyers , Phnom Penh Post, 9 January 2009
- Corruption and political interference: a thorn in the side of the KRT, Ka-set, 4 June 2009
Selection of cases
International and security services:
- The Eik case
- The Jihad case
- The Piranha case
- The ‘AIVD tolk’ case [case involving an interpreter for the Dutch intelligence services]