‘Governmental authorities should
never forget that they themselves are
potentially the greatest violators of
Tamara Buruma (1985)
- Studied law and politics at Leiden University.
- Graduated cum laude in criminal law and political theory.
- Admitted to the bar in Amsterdam in 2010.
- Member of the Dutch Association of Young Criminal Defence Lawyers (in Dutch: the 'NVJSA').
- Member of the foundation 'MENS (Mens en Strafrecht)' (For a Humane Criminal Justice System), http://www.mensenstrafrecht.nl/.
- Member of the criminal law department.
Selection of cases
Among other cases, Tamara served as defense counsel in the case concerning the occupation of the Iranian embassy in the Hague in 2010, the criminal case against several individuals suspected of membership of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (see here), the criminal case against Yvonne Basebya who was suspected of genocide (see here) and a case involving individuals suspected of piracy off the coast of Somalia. She is also representing 'Black Pete is racism' activists in a complaints-procedure against the police (see here).