- Studied law at the University of Freiburg (Germany).
- Obtained her doctorate cum laude in 1992.
- Admitted to the bar in Munich in 1985.
- Member of the Frankfurt bar since 1989.
- Moved to the Netherlands in 1991.
- Admitted to the bar in Amsterdam in 1994.
- Partner at Böhler since 1995.
- Member of the Advisory Council of the Nexus Institute.
- Member of the criminal law department.
In 2003, Britta Böhler won the Dekenprijs for the best lawyer in Amsterdam. In 2005, she was awarded the Clara Meijer-Wichmann medal. This is presented annually in special recognition of an individual’s commitment to defending human rights, particularly in the Netherlands. From 2007-2011 Britta Böhler served as senator for the GreenLeft party in the Dutch Senate.
On 1 January 2012 Britta Böhler was appointed professor for Legal Practice at the University of Amsterdam. For more information: www.uva.nl.
Britta Böhler is faculty member of the Speakers Academy. If you would like to invite her as a speaker, follow this link.
Press and publications
In 2000, Britta Böhler wrote a book on the Öcalan Case entitled ‘De zwerftocht van een leider – Achter de schermen van de zaak Öcalan’ [The odyssey of a leader: behind the scenes during the Öcalan Case]. In 2004, she wrote a book entitled ‘Crisis in de rechtsstaat’ [The crisis of the constitutional state]. Both books are published by De Arbeiderspers (www.arbeiderspers.nl).