Supreme Court reverses 2014-judgment in SUEPO & VEOB vs EPO
Amsterdam, 20 January 2017 - The Dutch Supreme Court has reversed the ruling of the Appeal Court in The Hague in which it was held that the European Patent Organization (EPO) violates the fundamental rights of staff union SUEPO and its branch in The Hague, VEOB. The Supreme Court gives priority to the immunity of EPO. That immunity bars national courts from exercising jurisdiction over cases such as these, and protects the organization from legal review of the degree to which it complies with its human rights obligations.
- No jurisdictional immunity for the European Patent Organization
- Staff unions win appeal against the European Patent Organization on most counts
- Coverstory (in Dutch): EPO: bastion of tyranny and fear
- Staff Unions initiate summary proceedings against EPO once again
- EPO-staff unions to file appeal against verdict summary proceedings